Music!

I’ve been exploring the boxes through music, and it’s been pretty darn sweet. Minus the Norm-like bar tab, the search has offered continuous insight into the layers.

As last summer, I’ll think that I have it figured out, then realize that I’m deconstructing or simplifying. It interests me to juxtapose anti-fed v. fed with political parties with human behaviors with fate/ free will!

The tracks list represents some of my leisure. I wish I could play music on this site. Alas..! I can and will mail a copy of the disks to interested parties. My first version has been revised and shall continue to be. (Nature of the beast. Pun.)

Like Forrest Gump (one of only many traits we share. Run, Hobbesie, Run!), I’m seeing how “maybe we’re both” or all of the boxes at once. That there’s a pull every bit as real as that between the three branches. Music seems to represent this polynomial, and factoring it presents me with a challenge I’ve enjoyed.

A word on the selections. I’m finding that a few of the songs could fit on any of the disks. One could argue that each of them is federalist, in that they are creative, for instance. “Jump Around” is a high-energy, aggressive song which I placed on the “States of Nature” disk. However, much can be said for the fact that rap handles aggression in a positive way. Phrases which some interpret as violent are most often simply a way to blow off steam. In other words, as sports, music allows a release. I could’ve just as easily placed the piece on disk three.

Anti/ Federalist Vol. I: States of Nature

“Upside Down” Jack Johnson

“Closer to Fine” Indigo Girls

“This Moment” Matthew Sweet

“Lights and Virtues” Jackson Browne

“Imagine” John Lennon

“This Land Is Your Land” Woodie Guthrie

A look will reveal certain biases: Green Day, my exposure, my age and sublurban upbringing… Also, I realize that the voices of women are under-represented. Perhaps, with your input, that’ll change! Thanks again to Shellee, Larry, and Laura for their evolving input.

Hope you leave some comments on the songs if you know them or share in the dialogue by requesting the disks! 🙂

No Comments

• stepwinder says:

A quick note about how much I enjoyed listening to the CDs. The music begs for attention, questions, and more discussion. Where is the wine room?

I’m reading a book called “First Democracy” by Paul Woodruff (a prof at UT). It addresses the question of what is democracy, looks to Athens for answers, and then presents its conclusions conceptually. One of the concepts is harmony and seems relevant to this task of boxing up the music we know.

I don’t have the book with me so you’ll have to suffer through my paraphrase but the idea that provoked me recently was that harmony tolerates differences and even requires it. Harmony isn’t about everyone singing the same note it’s about making one texture of many notes. That understanding seems to be missing in our political discourse.

Is one collection here about harmony while another is discord? Or is it simply a different kind of harmony…a different texture?

Thanks, Keith, for the thought exercise!

• hobbes21 says:

I sent out a mass email to the Nat’Cademians. Hope to see some visitors here, or cut-n-paste some responses to the tracks list. Maybe a few more will request the music so that we can drink grapes and talk tunes in Virginia..!

Harmony does seem to be lacking in U.S. discourse. How can we slake the human thirst for conflict, yet remain open to the merging of anti-thesis with thesis..? Poitical video games?! Academic gladiators..?

Much debate seems to be happening on the internet. The anti-fed in me disapproves the anonymity as manners fly; yet I’m intrigued by where this will go! I believe in the medium. Will we be virtually and verbally sparring in a few decades..? Will we still wrap ourselves in cyber-masks? Will this force people not to care about looks anymore when we can all assume the cloaks of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? Won’t, then, the cream of ideas (no innuendo intended) rise, rather than the cream of… Okay, that went awry.

Alas, I think aloud!

• hobbes21 says:

My comments on masks remind me of a great Judge Dredd comic from the mid-eighties. In the near future, we may instead “GET UGLY” at OTTO SUMP’S UGLY CLINIC!

• stepwinder says:

Since Keith posted this, I’ve contemplated what a similar list would look like if we were looking at the composition of the music in addition to or instead of the lyrics themselves. Before I present my nomination for the Federalists, I have to say Kelly, my husband, is perhaps the biggest Commodore 64 nerd I know. My grandfather previously held that title and introduced me to the Commodore 64 too many years ago.

I’d give anything to be swapping code with my grandfather again so I imagine I fall on that spectrum of Commodore 64 nerd somewhere. So, I present a place where the old has been remade into something entirely new, Slay Radio, playing from its own playlist of Commodore 64 remixes:

A virtual friend enjoyed Kelly’s suggestion of Slay Radio so much he provided this link to more Commodore 64 remixes:

Listen and imagine the world to be a strange, beautiful and somehow familiar place.

• Stuart ( Laura's Son) says:

so i thought of some more Anti-Federalist songs:
    1) War Pigs by Ozzy Osbourne
    2) The Outcast by Dropkick Murphys
    3) Megalomaniac by Incubus
    4) Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings
    5) David Makalaster by The Les Claypool Frog Brigade
    6) Welcome to the Machine by Pink Floyd
    7) Electric Uncle Sam by Primus
    8 ) Allentown by Billy Joel
    9) Witch Hunt by Rush ( maybe Red Barchetta as well)
    10) Chuck Al Hashib by Pain
    11) Another One Bites the Dust by Queen
    12) All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan/ Jimi Hendrix
    13) Times They Are a Changin’ by Bob Dylan
    14) We Won’t Get Fooled Again by The Who
    15) Take the Money and Run by the Steve Miller Band
    and finally 16) Revolution by the Beatles

• stepwinder says:

Thanks, Stuart! I couldn’t resist jumping up and down and throwing my fist in the air when I saw the Dropkick Murphys on the list.

I hadn’t even considered the Rush suggestions. Just put them on my playlist for this morning!

• hobbes21 says:

Dang! You have some serious musical saavy, Stuart! I’m familiar with 85% of those songs, and share your insight. I’m going to relisten to them, though, and poke around for the others on itunes. Thanks for the contributions!!

Hey, I’m considering a post on fed/ anti-fed/ state of nature films after Shellee posted RE: Wall-E. If any leap to mind, let me know.

• hobbes21 says:

We could almost do a CD on the Brits alone. “Red Box Blues”? Between Queen, The Who, The Proclaimers, and The Housemartins, there’s a lot of anger.

• puckermom says:

Step & Hobbes,

Stuart is delighted that you two like his suggestions, and is amused to find another Dropkick Murphys fan.

British anger: How about “Sympathy for the Devil” by the Stones? Stuart & I discussed that one, too, but for some reason he wanted exactly 16 songs on his list (don’t ask me–I gave up trying to figure him out years ago!).

Later,
    L

• stepwinder says:

Might it be that Antifederalist music would also be classical? Idyllic in nature, put together in perfect measure, with the proper composition?

I think it’s the Federalist who would be at the Rancid concert with me, perfectly happy with the energy and passion. I suspect some of my Antifederalist friends, however, would never understand that experience as music or worthwhile. It’d just be noise to them…chaotic, irreverent, and completely out of order.

• puckermom says:

Beethoven’s 9th Symphony was at the time a “Federalist” opus. The way the first 3 movements come together in the fourth was, at the time, considered to be chaotic, irreverent, and completely out of order, just as Rancid is today. The energy is incredible–so was the rush I got when I sang in the choral movement accompanying the Huntsville (AL) Symphony Orchestra!

It was actually composed on the heels of the Age of Reason, and some highly respected musicians & conductors consider it a Romantic piece because of the chaos in the 4th movement. Can Romanticism be Federalist? If so, that’s the only way I can reconcile the two.

Beethoven’s “Fur Elise” and pastoral symphonies I would definitely classify as both Romantic and Antifederalist. But the 9th? The one completed when Beethoven couldn’t even hear the audience response because he had gone completely deaf and kept working anyway? Totally Federalist.

• hobbes21 says:

Not to sit the fence, but I agree with both of you!

In its time, the 9th was cutting edge, and in the proper context maybe it still can be.

But classical music, as a category, I’d have to lump as anti-.